MomMinute with Mary Jo Rulnick
Profession: Author, Wedding and Lifestyle Coach
Children (Names, Ages): Deanna 27, Josh 22
Where do you live? Pittsburgh, PA
Coffee or tea? Coffee out and tea at home. I never make great coffee
Mac or PC? PC
1. How did you get started in your business? I held a board position on a nonprofit organization and one of the other board members made a comment that we needed to get more business people, like he, on the board and not another housewife. When I looked around, he was talking about me. I was the only housewife. That pivotal moment had me asking myself, “What do I want to do for me?” Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew I wanted to be a writer. Fortunately, I’m impulsive and I never considered the odds or my lack of schooling and just jumped in. I read every book I could about writing, taken workshops and non-credit classes and attended conferences. My first article, a craft/game project I created for my son’s second grade classroom party, was sold to FamilyFun Magazine.
2. What motivates you to keep going when all you want to say is, “Calgon, take me away!” I run through my gratitude list. I’ll think about other challenges and how I managed to get through them and I focus on my current goals.
3. What is your biggest success professionally? Having two books published with a major New York City publisher like Grand Central (formerly Warner Books) and having Food Network request two casting tapes.
4. What is your biggest success personally? The relationship I have with my children. I love being a mom. I love having been an important part of the wonderful people they have become.
5. What is something you do just for you…that has absolutely nothing to do with your children? I give myself girlfriend time. I try to take a girlfriend weekend yearly. At least once a month, I meet two friends at church (we alternate churches), and then we have lunch or breakfast afterwards. One other thing–I go to at least one conference and women’s expo a year. (This doesn’t include the ones that I’m contracted to present demonstrations, workshops or classes.) This connects my personal and professional lives together.
6. How many hours of sleep, on average do you get each night? Seven
7. What did you eat for breakfast this morning? Cottage cheese with sliced strawberries
8. What’s the most unusual item in your purse right now? A dog treat
9. How do you relax in the evening? This all depends upon my mood. When my son is home from college, we watch basketball games together. (Josh plays at his school and basketball is my favorite sport.) Needless to say, we love March Madness. When I need pampering and downtime, I’ll light candles and take a hot bath. Usually, I’ll read or work on a craft project.
10. What’s the last book you read? Finding Your Own North Star
Mary Jo’s books
Would you like to participate in the Monday Morning MomMinute? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the questionnaire.